This whole thing started with my passion for sports and being active. More importantly because it probably has been the most influential thing in my life, the love of soccer. I began playing when I was 13 - a little late to begin if you ask most athletes… but I managed. Because of my ongoing persistence and enjoyment of the game, I began my fascination with the human body and how that whole thing functioned. This led to my Bachelor Degree of Kinesiology.
For the next 5 years, I played on the University soccer team. When I first started my degree, I thought how great it would be to work with other athletes and their rehabilitation, but this changed very quickly . In order to make some money while attending school, I coached several youth soccer teams. It was a great way to stay involved with soccer, and was so fulfilling being able to instil a love of soccer, and see improvement in the players in a soccer context, but also in their life. In my second year, I decided to participate in the Champions for Health Promoting Schools Program when I had an inspirational professor who shared the same passion for activities and games as I did. This trip was my "aha" moment. It providing me with an opportunity to explore the same experiences I was when I coached. It was also where I developed the beginnings of my teaching philosophy of the "Whole Child Approach" (I'll talk more about this later…) This led me to change my path within Kinesiology, to the pedagogy strand and pursue my future of becoming a teacher. Since then, I volunteered in a variety of different school settings and pursued more coaching opportunities. In the last year of my degree, I applied for the Teacher Education Program and was accepted to start in the July after my completion of my degree. And that's when this whole journey started… Since then, I still enjoy coaching various teams, getting outside to find relaxation and of course, unit and lesson planning whenever I can.
No comments:
Post a Comment