The reflection of my science course was based around how my identity was impacted by what I have learned from this course and how it will make me a better science teacher. Throughout this class, my preconceived notions of what science should be and how it should be taught were challenged. I thought that it was important for a teacher to have all the answers to every question. That was drastically changed. Science is not about having the answers, but about the process of inquiry. Inquiry is what drives students learning and I love how science embraces and encourages this. It is hands on and mind on - FULL ON. As teachers of science and in general, we are to facilitate this process by challenging students misconceptions of things they thought they knew, kind of what I personally learned from this course. Providing opportunities for students to ask questions and investigate them through experimentation and research will help provoke an inquisitive mind-set that students can take beyond the 'science lab' and into a real world context. My ultimate goal is to foster life-long learners. Science aligns with this and science is just fun anyways!

No comments:
Post a Comment