Thursday, May 15, 2014

A Nut.

Robust Artifact Numero Dos

TEP Value #1: Integration of Knowledge and Practice

This artifact represents an experiment done at the very beginning of a science unit on the human body. Students of a grade 5 class were in partners to complete a very hands on experiment to demonstrate the process of digestion to show the importance and function of our stomach to break down foods chemically and physically. Students were also taken through the process of the Scientific Method to record their data and used observations to assist in their knowledge of the digestive system.

The class has various student needs with many students requiring differentiated instruction due to behaviour management and academic ability. The class culturally has some diversity with a few students of differing backgrounds. Regardless of these differences among students, all of them enjoyed the hands on exposure and experience of being able to work with the materials to aid in their learning. The students really appreciated being able to follow along as I demonstrated the process to have their own model to observe, as this was clear with their level of engagement and their desire to take the experiment further with questions and exploration with the materials. Students were able to correctly identify what all the materials of the experiment were to represent and discuss the process of digestion. The students even mentioned how much they enjoyed this learning experience because they didn't have to memorize anything, but got to experience it.

Throughout my learning through practicum from my Teacher Mentor, students and previous experience as a learner, teaching students through experiences is something that is memorable, and more easily retainable. It also requires my ability to teach the content comfortably and allow the students to explore and take their learning where they wish too. This meant I had to be prepared with the magnitude and direction of where student inquiry would lead them, and have the confidence to be able to answer questions and explain the process of digestion further. Throughout my methods courses, I have also learned the importance of student engagement in order to increase and maximize learning. This experiment engaged students because it was a demonstration of a process they are very familiar with, but were interested to investigate it further.

Interpreting the effectiveness of this lesson, I learned that the preparedness that I put into this experiment allowed it to be successful. I ensured to practice and do a trail of the experiment myself which allowed me to experience the difficulties the students might encounter as well. This led me to incorporate some additional preparation to ensure the ease of the process for the students. The students could not wait to get started on the actual experiment which kept them engaged during the learning process of the Scientific Method. This allowed the students to remain engaged in the method so when we were completed the experiment, students were focused on sharing there learning as well. What was interesting was that the students were able to recall the function of the stomach and why we require it to complete its function in the manner it does on the test and referenced the experiment.

This artifact provided a good representation of my knowledge of the content, students and effective teaching practices. It allowed the accomplishment of the task for all students and facilitated their learning through engagement through a hands-on learning experience. I learned from this lesson the importance of trying out everything myself before opening it up to students, because I encountered some difficult situations that I had not accounted for prior to completing the task myself. I also appreciated my knowledge of the human body and this system to allow me to further my students understanding beyond what the textbook requires because of their interest. I will continue to educate myself in varying areas of content and complete trial runs of experiments, projects and assessments and allow students to guide their learning while participating in this process.

No comments:

Post a Comment